The 51st State Band came from a doughnut party held in a small living room one afternoon in year 2000 … Since then, the band has grown to well over 100 young musicians and is perhaps the most vibrant and largest community concert band in London. Believing in the power of music to transform lives, the 51st State Band creates educational experiences where young people are inspired to play instruments and achieve excellence. The band has no grade level, and young musicians only need to be able to play a few notes on their instrument in order to join and, as a result of playing in the band, they make amazing progress.
The 51st State Band:
- Provides access to instruments
- Supports young people to understand and achieve goals and develop a sense of worth
- Inspires young people to develop a love and joy of music
- Develops the discipline to work toward a concert performance
- Provides motivation for young people
- Broadens young people’s experience of music and support them to progress/improve
- Supports them to work co-operatively with others
- Fosters leadership skills through mentoring
- Supports young people to value music and the arts
- The band also provides opportunities for parents, gap year students, volunteers, mentors and university students to participate.
Practices are on Thursdays at World Heart Beat Music Academy, 58 Kimber Rd SW18 4PP
51st State Band: Band 1, Grade 2/3 – 4/5, 5.30–6.30pm
51st State Band: Band 2, Grade 5+, 6.45–7.45pm
Also available with the 51st State Band project:
French Horn, Trombone, Euphonium, Saxophone and Trumpet tuition.
All classes are subject to availability. Register your interest and we will contact you to arrange a trial session.