An inspirational centre of musical excellence…
World Heart Beat Music Academy in SW London is an inspirational centre of musical excellence for young people.
The Academy aims to give children and young people – many of whom would never have access to musical education – the opportunity to learn music within a structured programme, alongside other young people, and under the guidance of committed and inspirational musicians.
Our vision is to create a beautiful, inspiring place where children of all socioeconomic and cultural backgrounds can come and play music – together, individually, or with teachers. It is a place to go after school, at weekends, and during the holidays for lessons, workshops, practice facilities, and to play together in a range of bands and ensembles.
A unique environment
The Academy offers a genuinely unique environment and opportunity for young people:
- a space dedicated to the development of young people. Providing a range of group, and 1-1 teaching and practice spaces, including space for workshops and band/ensemble practice.
- an Academy which offers a much wider range of music teaching and ensemble playing experience than is possible in a school environment. Most importantly, the Academy is a centre for world music – a place where children have the opportunity to learn about and take part in music from all cultures and where different types of music are brought together.
- a centre of musical excellence which attracts inspirational musicians from across the community and beyond. Everyone involved in the Academy is chosen on the basis of their love for music and their belief in the power of music to enhance people’s lives.
- an inclusive environment open to all young people – where there are no barriers to joining. The Academy will welcome all young people irrespective of their ethnic or social background and regardless of their access to financial support. We provide instruments and music lessons to young people who may not otherwise have access to instruments and offer teaching bursaries.
- a place to be – to hang out with friends and develop their passion for the music they love. At a time where many children and young people feel unsupported at home and distrustful of their school environment the Academy is somewhere which they ‘own’ and feel part of, a place to feel safe, valued and significant.
- a dedicated space in which professional musicians can teach and pass on their passion for music alongside developing bands and orchestras from classical to jazz.
- a community of young musicians who are encouraged to participate in the 51st State Band; New Orleans Second Line Band; Jazz Programme and Classical and Contemporary Orchestra and have the opportunity to showcase their music in public performances.
Visions, values & goals
For a more in-depth look at what we are doing, and why, please have a look at our charter…